Sunday, 21 June 2009

art V design





I constantly battle within myself with the concept of being 'an Artist'. I'm quite happy with the idea of being a creative person but being an 'artist' seems rarefied, somehow on a pedestal above others. Maybe I struggle with that because I do not possess that innate sense of my own deity that many artists appear to flaunt.

I reach a dead end at the point when I have put my work into a frame and I'm supposed to then take it to a gallery and ask them to take it and hang it on the wall. (Maybe it is easier to be Banksey and anonymously, leaving your work for others to experience without having to formalize anything.)
I've just been flicking through the pages of the design book 'Spoon', sitting on the bathroom floor whilst running the bath water on a Sunday morning. (bliss!)

Anyway I came across the page on 'Dunne and Raby'. That mental conversation in my head, the one that never stops, said "Well, what are they in here for, what have they designed?". I read a few lines, dismissed them finally and moved on.
And then something in what I had read brought me back to finish reading the article and it is one of those moments of epiphany where a penny drops and certain things begin to make sense.


Q - People when looking at your work tend to either 'praise' it as Art or 'dismiss' is as Art?
A - We think it is just research, exploring ideas about the way we live today in relation to technology. We use products, sometimes furniture, as our medium. It is interesting that people either dismiss it or praise it but it does not really effect the way we think of it.
Q - Most of your pieces seem to be more comments about things rather than designs for the things themselves. The table with the compasses or the GPS are not there as your proposition for a new design for a table so why insist on playing in the design field and not art?
A - Because if it becomes art it seems to be on the edges of everyday life, a special category of objects in galleries and museums. And even if the piece ends there, it is ot our intention, whereas if we present it as a design then we think people interpret it in a different way.

So, maybe this is part of the answer to my issues. Maybe I am not able to cope with the idea of me presenting a piece of 'Art' as final, complete, beyond contradiction (and I know that in reality Art is never really beyond contradiction- but it often sets itself up as that!)

Maybe I need to present my work, unframed, informally for the viewer/purchaser to make of it what they will?

No comments:

Post a Comment